Calling for Parent's Input

Okay...I knew it had to happen! My perfect little child, who has been a dream for four and a half years old, is now having disciplinary issues at school. The problem is that he's a little smarter than most kids his age, and although he's not excluded from them in any way, it's harder to communicate when you know how to count to two-thousand and all the others are learning to count to ten. There tends to be a gap.

This one child, in his class, who is as smart is obviously going to be an interest to my son. My son feels a bond with him because they can talk on the same level, which I originally was happy about. Except for the fact that this child is not one that makes good choices for himself, and is leading my son down the path to destruction. He and my son are too aggressive with other kids on the playground, and they aren't listening to instruction.

His teacher actually called me at home last month. I was shocked that in PRE-K I got a call from his teacher about this kind of issue. He's always been such a giving and loving child. So I thanked her and devised a plan.

Talking with him...right? Well not so much....it didn't work. He'd tell me what I wanted to hear, "Yes, Mom. I'll make the right choices and not follow Devon in wrong choices." And then he'd come home with a note from the teacher telling me otherwise.

I soon found that talking with him probably felt like talking at him. It hadn't produced any results. So I took a break from it and took another route.

We've always had a chart on our fridge to put smileys or stars on, which rewards him for good behavior. And, just recently we've been able to put smileys on the 'sleeping through the night' category for 3 months straight! He's sleeping for the first time in his life...every night. WooHoo! I told him he couldn't get a drum set for Christmas if he didn't start sleeping, and man that was incentive enough. Once he set his sights on the drum set, he knew he had to sleep every night until Christmas. Well now his body is trained to sleep all night, and it's a habit for him....just as not sleeping through the night used to be his habit.

Although I never set out to be a parent that bribes, this worked this one time. So I thought I'd use that same drum set for incentive with his behavior. I told him it broke my heart when he made some of the choices he had at school. I went on to explain how disappointed I was to learn how he was talking to other kids in his class, and how I didn't ever want to feel that kind of hurt in my heart again. His little eyes got sad.

Then I walked him in the kitchen to his chart. I put 5 lines on it, and drew a drum set next to those lines. I told him if I got another call from his teacher, one line would get erased...leaving four lines. If I got a note from his teacher, another line...erased - leaving three. If he came home with no 'smiley' on his hand, in a result of a good day of school, then another line would get erased. Finally, I explained if all five lines were erased, then the drum set would not be an option. I told him I knew he was a good kid, who makes good choices. I explained that I would hate to see him not get a drum set for Christmas when he's been working so hard to get one.

His sad eyes turned into fierce ones. He had that look of determination. He emphatically told me that he would make good choices and tell his friend at school too.

Since then he's been coming home with smiley faces from having a good day at school. The teacher has told me what good choices he's been making, and the minute he sees me he can't wait to tell me what choices he made at school. So far all five lines are still up on his chart.

So please tell me moms and dads - have you had this type of situation? What is working for you? I'm stumped, to be honest. It's my first time dealing with this. Give me your insight on your child's history and what you did or didn't do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My kids are 18 and 22, so I've definitely been there. This is a tough topic and you're likely to get many differing opinions. I'm just going to tell you what worked for us. You are right on by stressing the importance of good choices. Two things that I believe are key. First, your son needs to understand and experience the consequences and rewards of the choices he makes. 4 1/2 years old is not too young for that. It's also important that you explain why you think the choice is a good one or a bad one. While parents think, "Because I said so!", should be adequate, it just doesn't hold any water with the kiddos. Second,
if you tell your son that he will not get the drums as a result of his bad choices, then you need to be sure you stick to your guns and not get him those drums. He needs to know that you mean what you say. We need to have credibility with our kids. It hurts us when we have to be the "mean ol' mommy or daddy". Trust me. I know. But the sooner our kids understand that choices matter, the easier it will be when they are older and the choices become harder and more than a set of drums are at stake.

Hang in there...it does get easier, I promise!

David.
Tam said…
How can you be stumped? You did it! This is what is working for your child. You've communicated the consequence of good and bad behavior.

Bad choices at school - lose drums
Good choices - "Merry Snare Drum Christmas!"

I say, well done!
Kimberly McKay said…
Thanks to you both. I just want to make sure I was on the right track. I know sticking to your guns is important, and thankfully my son knows that what I say does go. So if I say he'll lose them with 5 strikes....he'll lose them. You both gave me some great feedback. I guess I never thought I'd have to deal with school disciplinary issues this early.
Loz said…
I agree with Tam you've done fine.
Kiki said…
I used to teach 3 year olds and I made a traffic light out of construction paper and put each childs name on a clothespin. They started everyday with their clothespin on the green light and with full privileges, but if they broke class rules they moved their clip to the yellow light which was a warning and then if they continued the would be in the red light which meant certain toys would be off limits or some time on the playground would be cut. This visual cue worked for the whole class, and they really learned from it. Oh, they could also work their way back up, because there must be forgiveness, so if I saw them cleaning up their mess, sharing, etc. they could move their clip back up..."earning" back their privileges. I think you did the right thing too, I just hope this helps give you another idea...whatever works, right?, I enjoy your blog very much.
Anonymous said…
I've used similar tactics. Although with my son, giving him a certain number of chances before he completely lost a privilege didn't work. When he lost all his chances, he just quit caring. So we had to start at nothing and have him work towards his goal. But I say, if this is working for you, go for it. Every child is different and not all methods work with all kids. Sounds to me like your son gets it.
Rebecca said…
Sounds like things worked out. I haven't had to deal with that kind of discipline yet but my son is giving me a hard time lately as well. Glad he's making good choices (and sleeping through the night).
Sleeping Beauty said…
Wow, I have not had to come across this yet, but I am sure I will. It seems like you did a wonderful job handleing the situation, better than I would of done. I always hate having to be the mean mommy, but I want to be the mommy rather than the friend I guess, just as long as they know we love them and are there to protect them and help them succeed.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise