Tornado Alley Still Full of Blessings

Since I moved here in 1990, I've been asked multiple times, 'Why do you live in Oklahoma?' 

And, as the weather has become more and more extreme, here in tornado alley, my friends across the nation shake their heads saying, "Why would you stay there knowing you could get blown away by a tornado?"

Here's my answer. Every state or region has its issues. I've lived in other countries and nationwide throughout the US. I've lived through typhoons, tropical storms, earthquakes, ice storms, blizzards, and tornados.  So, to not live in Oklahoma due to tornado would be ridiculous because when it's your time... it's your time.

Here's why I live here.  The heart of this community is like none other.  We rise in the face of defeat.  We lift each other up.  We breathe determination. We love with a heart bigger than the heartland itself. We smile when we pass a stranger in the street. We give eye contact and say hello.  We show our neighbor kindness.

And when something as horrific as the Moore tornado devastates and rocks our state to the core, our hearts break... but we push forward and circle around the victims to heal and support.  I've never been more proud to be an Oklahoman than I am today.

And as devastated as I am for the families that are suffering from this tragedy, I know we will lift them up so that they may live with strength again.  And because we'll rally around our fellow Oklahomans, they will feel our love for them and know they matter.

Tornados have nothing on the spirit of survival, which every true Oklahoman displays.

That being said, please pray for my sweet state. Please contact the red cross and donate in Oklahoma's name. And please feel free to leave me a comment, letting me know where you live and what you've seen about our state. 

Look for your blessings in the madness - they're there! And if we, Oklahomans, can find them ... you can too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise