ICE storm travel tips


So it's been pretty crazy here for the last couple of months. Between getting stranded Christmas Eve for six hours, in a massive snowstorm, to getting hit again this week with another ice storm. The first of the two storms - gave us over twelve inches of snow for days on end.

Christmas was not typical in that most families were not together, because they were stranded and unable to travel. We just took down our Christmas tree last week because we promised our son we'd keep it up until all our family Christmases were done.

It almost felt like winter was trailing off until this blasted ice storm hit this week. Again - because I'm 'that' lucky, I worked most days during the storms and ended up traveling home in it all again. Thankfully, I work for a wonderful company that allowed me to close our store so that myself and one employee could go home.

 We closed two full hours before the mall did. You know it's serious when two major highways are shut down in the state and yet the mall still chose to stay open.

I hope if you're in Oklahoma or in the path of the storm making it's way to your state, you're staying safe. Here are some great storm preparation musts --

Buy and stock up on:

batteries
bottled water
warm blankets
a generator
kitty litter or salt for the driveway, or to keep in your car in case of getting stranded
2 snow shovels - one for the house and one for your car
gloves and hats
extra thick socks to keep in your car, plus a warm change of clothes & snow boots
Toilet paper
Non-perishable foods


Also - never forget - do not leave your car unless help has arrived. Being exposed to the elements is more dangerous than staying where you have secure shelter --- your car. The only reason to leave your car is if you're able to walk a short (and I mean short) distance to a nearby building for shelter.

Also, in case you're stranded in your car for a bit - here's a helpful hint: Keep an empty cup in your car and a roll of toilet paper....I'll leave it to your imagination as to why. :)

Comments

Rebecca said…
We got some snow, not sure how the roads are because I stay off. lol Even with a little snow/ice I don't feel comfortable because I've slid some. Great tips! Hope things calm down with your weather soon!
Mike Conway said…
LOL... a cup and toilet paper huh? This is exactly why I'm glad I'm a dude.

I'm ready for the snow here to go away as well. We haven't gotten anything as severe as you, but I'm sick of it nonetheless.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise