Family Circle





My mom is working on a centennial project for her high school. Her school, unfortunately, had a big fire a long time ago, and all the archives were burned. All the original files from the early 1900s were gone forever.

So she's been calling children of children to see if they may have old yearbooks or photos to use for this project. At the same time, I'm scanning them in to store and re-stock the archives. This last week she actually found someone, who had an original copy of the first yearbook and she's so excited. So am I! It held so many cool pics of my grandparents. The one above is my grandmother's sophomore high school pic.

It's a labor of love for my mother, and for me, as I get to see old pictures of my grandmother and grandfather before they were even married. I lost my grandparents in my twenties and miss them so badly. I would encourage you to read a little about them here because it explains why they're so special.


This is the school's first women's basketball team, which my grandmother was a part of. I didn't even know she played. It's neat to think that my sister and I followed in her footsteps, playing in high school. Grandmother is the one holding the ball.

My grandparents were one in a million, and I can't wait one day to join them in heaven. They were such strong Christians, who loved and cared for everyone they met. They were a fine example of what it was to love like Christ, and I wish everyone had someone like them in their lives.

This pic is when they were just friends, before they were dating. My grandfather was on the back row, second to the right. My grandmother, on the front row ... second to the right.


I think old pictures are so cool. And today I just needed to remember them. Sharp dressed pics and all. I love you Grama and Papa.

Comments

WeaselMomma said…
That is soooo sweet, and I love old family pics like these.
I have to laugh too at how they used to make girls wear long skirts to play basketball.
Kimberly McKay said…
I know how funny is that to have to wear long skirts to play basket ball in? Wow times have changed.
Rebecca said…
How special, what a fun project for you & your mom.
What a great project! And how nice to find out you, your sister & your grandma had basketball in common!
terri said…
What an awesome project! My sister does a lot of genealogy stuff and I am always fascinated with our old family photos.
I am Harriet said…
So cool.
My mother is from the same generation. Recently, I came across her high school diary. It was great to read.
Heidi said…
I enjoyed your post on Bloggers Annex today and had to come by and check it out. I'm glad I did!
Gladys said…
Don't you love finding old pictures and having someone to be able to tell you who the people in the pictures are.
Anonymous said…
I love old photos too. I am the keeper of the family's old photos. Whenever new ones I found, I get it :)
Anonymous said…
Old pictures are my favorite. I love that we can scan them in and preserve them forever. Best of luck to your mom on her project!
I am a family history seeker! The old memories bring people alive. I have letters written by my G-G Grandmother to her daughter (My G Grandmother) who was confined to an "Insane Asylum" (1890) for over 40 years - sad story but the letters are letters of encouragement from a mother.
Those are such neat old photos. It inspires me to go find some of my own.
Anonymous said…
Isn't it amazing to see where you came from? It's so interesting to see what things were like back then. I have no living grandparents, but my grandpa (my dad's father) was an amazing individual. I often feel sad that I didn't get to know him better than I did. He died a little over ten years ago, though. Definitely doesn't seem like that long ago. Awesome post!
Stefunkc said…
How neat to see my old neighbors before they were even married! They were precious people and I miss them also.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise