Perception





















After chilling for the month to chill and especially the last couple of days, I'm just catching up to central standard time, wishing I was still on island time. None the less, it's time to get back to daily life, which means running errands and taking care of things like voting.

Yesterday, was such a day - voting day. There is a vo-tech near my house where I'm registered to vote. After rolling up to the entrance in a white tank top and no makeup, I'm sure some would raise an eyebrow or two. While I shouldn't be out of place on a school campus, most ladies in Oklahomans get dressed to the nines. Add the fact that it's hotter than hades so my hair does nothing in this weather. And, in the dead of our summers, shorts are a must.

Walking in, I got the standard question, "Democrat or Republican?"
Which I replied, "Republican please."

Not that I'm a straight party girl, but if I have to choose then I fall in that category. I took my ballot and started my tickmarks for my desired local candidates. It was then that I overheard some murmurs from the volunteers. The only words I could make out were...younger generation.

So if you know me - then you'd know I couldn't resist discovering what it was they were saying...

I turn to feed my ballot to the automated machine reader, and ask, "So what is it we're discussing today?" Of course, I gave them my biggest smile.

The oldest of the three of them, a man, stopped in his tracks and you could tell he was thinking, Oh crap!

The ladies at the table started to explain. The conversation went a little like this:

"Well, we saw you walking in from the parking lot." She points behind her. "Here through this window...and were debating on whether you were Republican or Democrat. We all thought Democrat."

I laughed, and said, "Why because I have no makeup on, and a fake tattoo? Would have getting dolled up made me more Republican?"

They laughed, "Makeup would have done it..."

Then they backtracked, one saying, "But you're so cute without it." Another saying, "You don't need it. We just saw this young cute figured thing walking in and thought you were of the younger generation, who are mostly Democrats."

(I think they should have said...not that there's anything wrong with that...because there's not)

I just think it's funny how people perceive one another. Most times I bet you they've pegged every single voter right in their voting decree, but, then again, I'm not most people either.

Comments

wfbdoglover said…
WOW - are they even allowed to ask you that?

I love henna tatoos, because they are fun. I really don't like tatoos on people as a general rule of thumb, but henna ones are nice. I got one last February when we were at a convention. :)

Good for you to vote. I actually got a friend of mine a few years ago to register, but she still hasn't voted. She is kind enough to host many election signs for me.
Kimberly McKay said…
Yes they can...b/c they need to know which ballot to give you--a Republican form or Democrat.

I love them too...my husband got one too. I've got to post more pictures of it later. I love my little dolphin in the ocean henna tattoo.

I think everyone should exercise their right to vote. It will sad day if and when that right is evoked, and then those that don't vote will wish they'd put their two cents in.
wfbdoglover said…
OOOOHHHHHH, we just get a sheet with everyone on it. If it is the Primary, they tell you - you can only vote one or the other.

What if you are an independent?
Anonymous said…
I love your new header here! And look at YOU! Getting complimented out loud on being a cute, young thing! You GO girl! Bet that made your day, huh?
Kimberly McKay said…
Independent? Hmmm...not sure if any ran this time. But I know when it comes to the big elections, there's that option.

Terri, yes...loved being told I had a cute little figure by a 68+ old man. He was so sweet and cute. It made my day.

You could tell they were totally caught off guard though that I would ask them what they said about me. I'm not afraid though...any time I wanna know something, I just ask!
wfbdoglover said…
no, like myself being independent.

I vote for the person, not the party. I use to vote straight Republican, but over time I have voted for a couple of Democrats.
(but not for President) BUT there is always a first...
Char said…
We're registered as "Declined to State" since it prevents solicitation calls from either party. Boy, that really throws them - line it's un-American or something.

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

Never know what you're gonna get...

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!