Some days...

Today was one of those days where even though you hold your head up high, the stress from the weeks past takes its toll.

If you've been reading me at all, you know that my husband's work schedule has been more than crazy...mine too. Some days your body and mind just say enough!

I woke up today and I think if I had time, it would be a day I'd take just for me, but unfortunately, I don't have the time. I writing this on the fly before I head out the door for a full day of work calling on clients while still having some personal things to take care of.

To give you some background, yesterday was amazing and I will post on it another day this week...but I injured my knee twice in the same spot. The swelling has gone down today, but it left a very large contusion. It looks like two bruises that overlap each other. Well, basically that's what it is.

Last night was the first night of full sleep I've had in two weeks, and what a blessing that was. I slept so hard that I didn't realize I was sleeping in an awkward position, so I woke up with my back cinched up.

After February's car accident it's a lot more sensitive and doesn't take much to throw out of whack. As a result, I couldn't get ready as fast as I would on a normal day which means I may not have put on make-up, my hair was scraggly as all I could do was dry it without styling it, and my clothes were just what I could grab in a pinch.

My son had some sensitive feelings on the way to dropping him off to school. I want chocolate milk... now I want a breakfast burrito. I was too tired to make him ask politely or reprimand him for speaking so rudely. And I forgot to give him breakfast before leaving for his school... bad mom! So I stopped through two drive-ins to take care of him.

After rushing him to class, I checked in at the school office to sign him in. One of his classmate's mothers was there and apparently said "hi" twice but I was too intent on focusing on the sign-in sheet, struggling to lower my arm to write.

She said hi again, and not only was I embarrassed that I had ignored her but was even more so that she'd seen me looking so ragged. She looked amazing as all the mothers do there. Most of them don't have to work...they're stay-at-home moms with well-off husbands. They spend their time volunteering at school. They're always 'put' together.

I, on the other hand, looked pretty rough. My eyes were puffier than I've ever noticed before (probably the lack of sleep), I was hobbling from my knee injury, and I couldn't turn my head very well due to my neck and back issues today. Compared to the rest of them, I looked like a hobo.

Next thing I know she said, "You have some food on your mouth." (from my son's breakfast burrito) She might have well have said, "You have egg all over your face!" Pun completely intended.

I wiped. I didn't get it because she told me it was still there.

"Here," she said. "Let me get that for you." She wiped my face like I was her five-year-old and my eyes started tearing up.

Seriously why did I have to start crying? I felt like a friggin' charity case, and I hate it when I let myself get this way!!

I went to my car and kept crying....what is wrong with me today???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awww, honey. Nothing's wrong with you. We all have those days. The problem comes when we look at those "put together" moms and we start believing what we assume to be true... that their lives are perfectly scheduled and organized and everything pulls off with a hitch. And that's so not true. Some women just manage to make it look easy. I'm sorry you're having a bad day. It's not like you to not see the bright side or the blessings in your days, but you are CERTAINLY entitled to have an off day now and then. Don't beat yourself up over this.
Joeprah said…
Aw! Reading this makes me so glad I am a dude. First, food on my face...when isn't there food on my face? Second, forgetting to feed the kids...yeah, been there, will be there again, mornings are hectic. Take pride in knowing that I seldom brush my hair before noon. If you think you looked ragged, just know I am out there somewhere and I look like a homeless person for a good part of the day. You are tops in my book GF!
Anonymous said…
aww.....no wonder you call yourself worn out woman. Im exhausted FOR you.
Kimberly McKay said…
Okay all three of you started your comment with Awww. That made me giggle. Thank you for making me feel better. Still struggling to make it today, but tomorrows another day and I welcome it!
No "awwwwww!" here. I know what you need - a hug from papa! ( H U G )

(Insert hug here)
Kimberly McKay said…
Thanks Papa...I needed that!
wfbdoglover said…
I will also give you a ((( HUG))))

Been there myself.

One way of looking at it, is a true friend would tell you - you have food on your face and maybe she was just being kind helping.

Personally, I would feel like you felt -- been there, seen it and done it...

Hope your knee is better and you have a better day tomorrow.
Momo Fali said…
I have days like this. Stupid hormones.

But seriously, I know you have faith and so I know you will realize that everything happens for a reason. I'm not sure why you had that burrito on your face, but maybe it was because that woman needed to felt needed.

And, who cares if those women looked pulled-together! You are beautiful in every way imaginable!
Kimberly McKay said…
I think she was being very kind. She's a very sweet lady, and I feel bad for not knowing her name now. I remember the name of someone whose kind enough to wipe my face.

I'm better today. My hubbie lost his job yesterday after I wrote this post, but we're so happy that God will be opening a new door for us soon.

Thank you both for your sweet comments. I needed them.

To read about my hubbie's amazing journey go to my daily blessings site and read up.
Meg said…
I KNEW something was up with you! I could hear it in your voice! Sending you BIG big hugs from Texas...and chocolate!
Cassey said…
Way to keep a positive outlook. You will be blessed for that. A girlfriend of mine is going through a hard time and said she knows it is a test of faith and she wants an A, so she keeps a smile. I thought that was a nice way to look at it.
Take a nap. Take a shower. Get some peace!
wfbdoglover said…
Two weeks ago I had a bad day. Well, it was catching up on a couple of years of an issue I was taking public. I've probably been very depressed these past two years.

I met my mom somewhere and said I was having a really bad hair day. I was. I bought something that made my fine, limp hair smooth - except it made it FLAT as a board.

I met my mom and told her that I was being interviewed by a TV station on this subject for of 4 years we have been dealing with.

She doesn't like "public" things. I started to get the "what if" so and so sees it or this person or that person. I said MOM, just tell them I'm an activist.

So TODAY, I had my "quarterly" BS meeting at school and if that isn't stressful enough, I get hit with one of those awful mom statements.

I have to get something off my chest she says.

First of all that day, you looked just terrible and being an activist is a very loney life. Maybe that is the reason of your 4 year problem.

I would of been so greatful if she would have just said, can I clip up your hair for you and good for you for speaking up for you son.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise