Dog gonit!

A few months ago my dog got out of our back yard and was gone overnight. It was traumatizing for our whole family. We were consumed with finding him as he was fourteen years old, needed his medication, and is blind as a bat. I just knew he would be hit by a car.

It was the first time my son had seen me cry...okay bawl like a baby...and he kept getting a dishrag to dry my face. It was really hard on him in a matter of different ways.

Well this morning, I left the garage door open to allow my engine to run and warm-up. My chocolate lab has never runoff while in the midst of his food. And his bowl was full, so I let him out in the garage to eat. It wasn't a worry of him running because he'd never before. Well, there's a first time for everything.

I stepped out to load up my son for school, and Hershey was M.I.A and nowhere to be seen. I ran down the driveway calling his name as my little boy stood by our car, distressed. "What do I do mommy? Where is he? Did he run off again?"

Finally, I saw our old dog, five houses down across the street peeing as he ran off. I called his name, he stopped to look, and then took off running again. I whistled to no avail. So, on impulse, I strapped my son in our already running rental car (the orange eye soar) and took off down the road. I caught up to Hershey at a stop sign, where he then ran across the road away from me...but stopped long enough to poop in the road. I thought "Oh crap (no pun intended)...I don't have time to come back and clean that up."

I got out to grab him mid poop when he bolted back toward the house. Okay, I put my car in reverse and sped down the road to catch up to him. My boy squealed, "Mommy this is so fun!"

My kid's laughter made me laugh at the whole thing. Anything that makes him smile, makes me happy. Even in the middle of runaway dogs pooping and ditching me.

I finally caught up to him, jumped out, grabbed his neck, and guided him to my car. We continued backward to our house, where I deposited him into our back yard. But not before my son asked, "Can we go to school with Hershey? I like this!"

It was quite an adventure for my little guy, who was bound and determined to tell his teachers that Hershey ran off again but this time not that far. I'm sure they'll ask, "What happened?" And I'm sure he'll say, "My mom left the garage door up."
Well duh! I guess I'm going to have to start keeping that down more often now. I'm just glad I got him home in one piece.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm sorry... but I laughed until I cried! Especially when you said, "Oh Crap!" I'm so glad you got Hershey home safe and sound.
Anonymous said…
sorry to laugh at your saga....but the way you told the story was soooo funny. I could imagine the whole thing and your son's enjoyment made it even funnier.
Paul Eilers said…
Don't ya just love dogs?

I'm so glad you got your Hershey back home, safe and sound. I bet your was loving the free entertainment!

We have a black Lab, Clarence. When he was around six months old, he used to somehow get out of our fenced in back yard too, so don't feel bad.

But now that we've had him for three years, and trained, he is so much fun!
It sounds like he scared the crap out of you at first. I bet you were pooped by the time you got home. It sounds like a crappy day!
Anonymous said…
ooh girl - no wonder you are one worn out woman! lol - glad hershey made it safe. :)
Momo Fali said…
I know how scary it is when they run off. I'm glad you got him back home safely.
Kimberly McKay said…
I think the older he gets the more child like he gets in his mental state. He used to stay and mind, and now I think he's got a little dementia...:(
Anonymous said…
seriously, this is still making me laugh
Anonymous said…
ok - this needed a video! i'm visualizing you chasing the dog who, despite its blindness still had the better of you... i'm sure it was hysterical!

Senora Patron
bloghoppin' and sippin' on a Friday nite cuz my life is just THAT exciting. ☺
Rebecca said…
LOL, glad he made it home & you have a funny story to laugh about.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise