4 days in Louisville KY



I got back home today and am worn out and excited at the same time! 3 full days of meetings, awards banquets, and meals with over 2,000 people from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. has left me wanting a long nap!

Both hotels, our group was booked at, had a breeze-way to the Louisville, KY convention center. It was about 4 to 5 blocks for me to get to any event from sun up to sun down. So even though I ate and ate...I could walk it off! I think I still gained about 5 pounds though. I'm not used to eating that much. I swear ever since I turned 34 last year, I've had some minor trouble keeping 5 pounds off my ideal weight. Still...I'm really blessed with that issue.

The last two nights had a fancy dinner at the main convention hall. The first night was for the sales force and the second for the service. I find it funny how different people in each department are.

The sales people the first night were so pumped to be recognized that most ran down to the front to get to the stage as soon as possible. The music and lights were going and the energy was amazing. The second night the service side took their sweet time walking slowly. The music and lights seemed lost on them. It took those employees three times as long to get to the stage for their awards. It was almost comical, but enjoyable just the same.

I find it really compelling to attend any training or conference my company holds. Thankfully all have been all expenses paid, but even if I had to pay I'd be willing to try to swing it. My company is one in a million. Those above me are coaches and mentors, not bosses and owners. They are stewards wanting to give abundance in my life and that of those around me. My company breaks the mold when it comes to compensation and compassion for it's employees. I am truly blessed to do what I do, and still have time to be a mom and a wife!

Thank you Lord for my life and the opportunities You provide.

P.S. My sister, whom I also work with, and I also found an hour to run to the Louisville Slugger Museum. It was so cool...we rode a .50 cent trolley and got to see some sights. Well worth it! We didn't get to take the tour, but were there long enough to order some bats and shop in their gift boutique. My husband and her boyfriend were extremely jealous that they weren't with us! We'll definitely have to come back as a whole family.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I love seeing that giant bat every time. My dad made it.. LOL.

The slugger museum is great. They really work hard on making it very accurate.
Rebecca said…
That sounds like so much fun! We are a few hours away from Louisville so we haven't been there yet but it'd be worth it to go just to get the picture of the giant baseball bat. :) It sounds like you work for a great company and are obviously happy with it - good for you! There's a MK conference coming up but it's not all expenses paid and I don't want to leave my baby & hubby for that long since he'll be gone for long enough very soon. So glad you had a great time!
Kimberly McKay said…
Jennifer! Your dad made it! How cool! Well tell him he did an awesome job!
Rebecca, you definitely need to go...worth it to see 4th street and all the art and music culture! Lots of neat stuff there!
Jennifer said…
They spun it on this huge machine actually in PA. It was taken to Kentucky on a flat bed truck. I think they did the finishing in Kentucky though, my dad only does the spinning of the bats. He makes the forms at his plant. He also has made quite a few of the machines that they use to make the bats.

If you look carefully my dad's picture is a few places in the museum too. He has worked there 32 years. He was one of the people that helped put the museum together about the early stages of the bat production.

He is a terrible baseball player though, which is what I sort of find comical. LOL... He can pick up a bat though and tell you how many ounces it is.
Kimberly McKay said…
We have a "how it's made" special, from the Science Channel, on how they make bats. It's one of my favorites. I think the craftmanship and technical work is amazing. You're dad is obviously the best at what he does.
Jennifer said…
Is that How it's made special for Louisville Sluggers. I think I watched one about Rowlings or whatever the other bat maker is. If it is Louisville Slugger though my dad has had a few TV shows at his plant. Chances are though now maybe it isn't my dad's plant. They opened another plant that does the whole process from log to finished product. That plant makes the bats you see in like Walmart for kids and stuff.

I think it has been a while though. I know there was a discovery show special when I was a kid. My dad was in that one showing them the whole process.

My dads plant mostly does the forms, well, only does the forms. His word is graded and either sent to the company that makes "sales" brand or mostly his go onto Louisville to be finished into "Pro" bats.

It is amazing how much I know about bats and wood in general from him. LOL.. I can tell you what kind of tree most trees are from the bark. It is crazy.
Anonymous said…
Nice blog entry. Even though you are exhausted and business dress and business casual are truly more of a hassle for women...I appreciate your enthusiasm for your job. You inspire other women to stick with their careers after having children. You make it work well. Hats off to you!

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise