My first day as a 'Soccer Mom'

Nine o'clock came early this morning. My son has been sleeping in most mornings for the last few weeks, due to my need for sleep (I'm trying to get over this upper respritory crud). However, after giving him a little prep talk last night, that he had to wake up before 8 a.m. to make it to his game, he came running down to our room with his digital clock in hand. It's one of those SkySkan Atomic clocks that will tell the accurate time and temperature on its own.

He pushed the button, tapped me on the shoulder, and whispered, "Mom! It's 7:30. Get up, I have a soccer game!"

I am so tired from this cough and chest congestion, but there's no way I'd miss the honor of being there. Not only was it his first sporting event (Ah! and now it'll never end!), but it was my first day to be a soccer mom. Something I never saw myself as. I never pictured myself as that girl!

Before the game, the coach led the team in a prayer of thanks and protection for all the players. It was so cute to see them all bow their little heads in unison and participate. Then they were off!

I just knew somehow it would be chaos with a bunch of 4 and 5-year-olds running around, but I was so impressed with the whole group...especially my son. He was a starting player today, but he's been kicking a ball since he could walk. When the coach had them run their first practice drill before the game, my little guy darted with his ball-- and kept going and going and going! He was quick and nimble with his feet. It was obvious he knew what he was doing. For him, it was as easy as breathing. The coach's son, who happens to be my son's best friend, was also a natural. Do you know how cool it was to see my baby loving life with a big grin as he ran alongside his best friend?

Our team, the Dolphins, didn't score a goal. The Longhorns, the opposing Pre-K team, scored FIVE goals! They were like 4-year-olds on steroids! I mean it just didn't seem like a fair match up...they had obviously had practice or coaching prior to this game. Our team members were aggressive, but no competition for the Longhorns.

For the most part, all these kids were good listeners and kicked well. It wasn't a massive chaotic scene. It was fairly organized...great coaching by the staff. They have to be the most patient coaches on the planet.

Not one kid asked for a potty break, or for a drink. In fact, we had to ask them if they needed either which we all got a 'no.' It was clear all they wanted was to PLAY and play hard.

Today was such a blessing. Now I just have to recover physically from being out in the cold winds.  Keep me in your prayers... 3 weeks of this stuff is ENOUGH!

Comments

Rebecca said…
how sweet. i look forward to my little guy playing sports, baseball if daddy has anything to say about it. :) Hope you feel better!
Lil Bologna said…
Welcome to the World of Soccer moms. My son has played for 3 years now, but I still don't consider myself to be a part of that group lol.
Kimberly McKay said…
IT WAS SO FUN! I can't wait until next week! Soccer is something I would have loved to play as a kid, but never felt I was good at it. It's great to see him love it so much.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise