My Son's Career Path

It doesn't take much to recognize certain traits in our children from early on. My son's a born salesman. Last night at my book launch party, which went phenomenal by the way, he circulated and worked the room, asking every single person if they've bought a book by his mommy.

I even saw him dragging my mom over when he noticed she didn't have hers yet. He pulled her across the room, made her out a ticket, and gave her a five-dollar bill and a nickel. It didn't matter that she hadn't bought one yet, he gave her the standard change he saw us giving out to all those that paid with a twenty-dollar bill. His math and reasoning skills are very high for someone his age.

At the of the night, one man, whom I met for the first time last night said, "Hey, your son signed my copy of your book."

me--"Huh? He did?"

Opening to the back page, I saw a backward J that was crossed out ... and then a correct J next to it.

me--"What did he put that down for?"

Man--"Well he stopped by as he was working the room, and saw my copy of the book. He said, 'I see you bought my mommy's book. Would you like me to sign that, sir?'. I told him sure. Then he asked what my name was."

I smiled picturing the moment.

The man continued, "When I told him my name was Jay, he did his best to sign the book with my name...hence the letter 'J.'"

We all had a good laugh over it. When everyone left, most commented to my son that I should hire him as my business manager. A few minutes later I asked him if he'd take the job. He asked what it meant to be a business manager.

After I explained it, he thought hard before replying, "How bout if I just am your employer and you can be my employee!"

Yes, my son's born go-getter.

Here are a few pics from last night:

Me up on the balcony, at Toby Kieth's I love this bar and grille, during a break of book signing.


My husband welcoming our guests, and greeting all at the restaurant ... to invite them upstairs for the event.

Comments

terri said…
What a cutie your son is! And so smart. He's definitely going places.
Rebecca said…
Congrats on the launch party!!
Veronica Lee said…
Your son reminds me of mine. When I started my blog on Paid Surveys, he tried recruiting his teachers in school for me by giving everyone my url! I didn't know this until one of the teachers told me.
WeaselMomma said…
Oh, he is too cute and too funny! Congrats on your special night!
~Christy said…
I LOVE it!!! "j"... now thats funny!!
wfbdoglover said…
so cute and fun!

loved the story!
Lolly said…
That is soooo cute!! Congrats on the book launch!
Lori@Thrifty Thoughts
Unknown said…
Oh, I love kids like that. I love adults like that, when they're kind about it. My family could really benefit from whatever gene or genes make someone outgoing, optimistic, and unassuming. Although, it's probably not entirely genes: You must have taught him well what makes other people comfortable and happy and just happens to not so benefit you. That's a boss I'd enjoy working for!
Anonymous said…
Woo, girl! You look GREAT!
Beth said…
Very cool story!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! =)
Kimberly McKay said…
Aww thanks guys. It was a very special night and my son just was the icing on the cake for me.
Annette Piper said…
Wow, you're right, he does sound like a business manager already ;) You could have your hands full by the time he's a teen... or he could be millionaire by then (and hey, that wouldn't be bad!)
Anonymous said…
That is so adorable. It's great that he has such an outgoing personality
Anonymous said…
Hi Kim!

I posted this blog on my site where we're posting only good news and vibes:

http://www.tracitoguchi.com/guestbook.html

Looking forward to reading your book! :)

Love,
Traci

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise