Babysitting Blues

So tonight was the first time we left our son with a sitter. It's been four years of family care whenever my husband and I had things to do or needed a date night. I can't tell you how apprehensive I was. Especially after my last post...this is a crazy world we live in.

BUT...we didn't just drag in someone off a street corner to sit for us. It was an intern that worked at my husband's office for the summer. When my son came to visit his office, I noticed how he was drawn to this beautiful girl and how well she interacted with him.

Long story short we asked her to babysit last week. I asked her over to hang out with us on Sunday to get our son used to her being her ahead of time. I checked her references, which were stellar! And finally did a lot of praying.

Tonight, my son couldn't get me out of the house fast enough once Sarah got there. He told me to leave! With Sarah, he had his captive audience and was so excited to play with her. I checked on them once via cell phone from our financial peace class tonight...and of course, they were doing fine.

Here's the shocking part...I got home on time and expected to have a warm homecoming. Who wouldn't be excited to see their mom? Nope! As soon as I walked in, they were sitting side-by-side on the couch, watching "How It's Made." As soon as he saw me...he started to cry and told me to leave. He wanted to be alone with Sarah and was upset I came home. What??

I had to laugh that he wanted me to leave. On top of that, he got upset that she then had to go home. It took thirty whole minutes for him to snap out of his funk. Now that is some serious Babysitting Blues!

Comments

Tam said…
Whoa! This is unheard of! It is kind of cool though.

I commented over on Rindy's Evangelism Post. It was directed to you and her and I was wanting some wisdom from you - have you gone over there?
Ane said…
Thanks for your compliment on my blog, and what a cute post about your son! So funny! He is adorable!!
Kimberly McKay said…
I think he thought he was on a date! It was too funny!
Rebecca said…
Sounds like those are the kind of babysitter blues you'd want to have! I'm glad things went so well & you've got a great sitter that everyone (son esp) would be happy to have back again!
Kimberly McKay said…
I agree! She's a doll and I'm glad I can rest easy now that we've found an awesome sitter. She played the alphabet game with him. When I came home she asked:

Umm...how does he know the word 'initiative'? When I got to the letter I - he said, "Initiative...seeing something that needs to be done..and doing it!"

I just laughed. Thats my kid! Not your typical four year old!
Anonymous said…
Hilarious! Sounds like a fun night for one and all - and I LOVE that he knows the word initiative! : )
Susan S. said…
I must admit to a small case of envy... my son is two, and has only spent time with family caregivers (when out of my care). These consist of my family (2,000+ miles away), an aunt (150 miles) and a mother-in-law (35 miles, but 81 years old). I'm seriously craving some couples time with the hubby... Congratulations on the BEST case of babysitting blues!
Good for You!!! How awesome is that?!?!? Do you know how many moms would love LOVE lOvE to have their child absolutely want to spend time with the babysitter.

That is so great for you and your husband...the bonus is that she sounds like a really great girl...which is a nice side bonus!

I am so glad you guys got a chance to get out a bit!
:) Melissa
Kimberly McKay said…
Yes, we're blessed. Now we can go out guilt free...usually I feel bad that I'm imposing on my family to sit...again. Or guilty that I'm leaving my son.
Sleeping Beauty said…
Only my parents baby sit for me. And my kids always cry and tell me to go back. Boo hoo. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise