That's What Makes the World Go Round ...

Thankfully it takes a lot of different personalities in life, or our existence would become very mundane.  Have you heard the saying, 'It's not for everyone?'.  I'm sure you have, as we all have different opinions on matters that are formed by our own backgrounds and experiences.

Is an atheist going to appreciate a preacher's point of view? Probably not - and vice versa.

However, I have a few atheist friends, who although they may not agree with my stance on faith, appreciate my choice to have faith. And I, in return, appreciate their choice not to.  

Most of the people in my life are giving people, who see that it takes all kinds to run this world of ours. So no matter what their lifestyle or beliefs, they know I appreciate them for them without reservation and expect the same respect in return.

This relationship with a person of differing views isn't typical throughout the world though.  Usually, when polar opposites have differing opinions, there will most likely be some heated conversations or at the very least some negativity.

So why am I writing about this?

In the last couple of days, I've received some negative reviews on my book, which is to be expected.  And even though the last couple hasn't been glowing, I'm still happy.  It means that word is spreading, and people are reading it.

And when I get a review that is less than glowing, it is a reminder that our world is full of differing opinions. I can not expect someone, who isn't appreciative of my faith, to like my book.  Do I like the fact that the reviewer, today, felt like they needed to make it personal by saying I had a 'narrow frame of reference for the human experience on this planet' because I talked about faith in Jesus?  Believe it or not, it gave me a smile.

Although I felt the reviewer made it more personal than it should have been, I was happy that she was definitive in her own beliefs. We're called to stand up for our faith. And those that will hear... will hear. Those that won't... won't.  I have not one iota of ill-thought or will for someone who is of a different mind.  I appreciate the fact that this person has their own opinion.

This lady started her review by stating, 'I don't get how many people could give my book glowing reviews.'

Well here's my two cents on the fact that a lot of people are loving the book ... 

Everyone has different understandings of what has value in their life. A lot of readers have emailed me personally to tell me how much they loved the book. And to someone who can't understand that, I say this:

Those that feel that everyone around them should be of the same mind as they should learn to have a bit more understanding of the world around them.  Because everyone is different.  We can not expect everyone to think or behave like we do, because that could be said (I'm going to use the reviewer's own words here) as having a 'narrow frame of reference for the human experience on the planet'. 

So, why would I post about a negative review of my book today?  Because I was touched by this is in a good way.  I saw the obvious good throughout the negativity the review wanted to portray.

This person was touched enough that they felt they had to leave a review. They were affected. The book provoked emotion from this reader.

Isn't that what it's all about? Touching someone? Granted, she sparked in a different direction, but thankfully, most that have read it have been touched in a positive manner.  

Let me clearly state, my books are not for everyone. But, what book is?

This can be said about anything in life.

Not everyone will feel like you do. Not everyone shares your faith or lack of. Not everyone is understanding. Not everyone will like every book. And guess what, folks?  That's what makes the world go round.

Oddly enough - I was blessed by this review today. It was a reminder of how different we all are.
And even though someone said something bad about my work .. tomorrow, the sun will still rise.  My faith will still be intact.  And another reader will read the book and form their own opinion.

Aren't these wonderful truths?  And how blessed are we, that we live in a world where we still have freedom of speech? 


Comments

tam said…
i agree. there is no right or wrong here. the reviewer is valid and right in her own opinion as are you in your opinion of that and your own personal stance. it's what makes the world turn, as you said. how boring and unchallenging the world would be if we all were alike.
Kimberly McKay said…
Thanks Tam. I figured since I'd posted some good reviews on this blog, the only balanced thing to do is post about a negative one too. And, although I don't want them all to be negative :) - we all are going to have our own view points. And that's a good thing.
Susan Titus said…
Well said. Not everyone will agree and like the book but it seems the reviewer was very narrow minded when she refused to continue the story.
Kimberly McKay said…
There have been books I didn't finish, so I can't fault her for that - just like I don't fault her for her review.

I bet if she and I went for a coffee - we'd have an interesting conversation.
Tara R. said…
You can't make everyone happy, and you'll drive yourself crazy trying. When it gets personal, reviewers are taking issue with your beliefs and opinions, not the quality of what you're writing. While it's okay to disagree with someone, it shouldn't cloud an objective critique of a book, movie, or other piece of art.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise