Baby no more

Forever I'll love you...forever my baby you'll be.  This is something I used to read to my son from a book on his shelf.

I've always told him that no matter how old he get, he'd always be my baby.

And he is my baby ... however this summer many changes took place. He grew up overnight and grew about three inches.  All of a sudden my little guy isn't so little anymore.

On the first day of school, he instructed me that I could walk him in on the first day but from there on afterward - I was to drop him off at the curb ... 'because he was a man now and he didn't need his mom to walk him in.'

Sigh...

So as he's now eight and a half years old, I'm seeing the young man he's growing into. He's matured in so many ways, and it's time for him to grow up. It's time for those apron strings to be cut in some ways. It's with such bittersweet emotion that I let go of his hand and let him walk free from the shadow of the little baby he was and walk into the big boy shoes of the young man he's growing into.

That being said, it's time for some changes to allow him the room to mature. And one thing that will help is a room makeover for my son.  I tried last year to get him to agree to convert his nursery to a big boy room.  It's stilled painted with Sesame Street characters.

Although I tried, he wasn't ready. I could tell he was torn.  He wanted a big boy room but it meant saying goodbye to what he'd known for the last seven years, and he is a child that finds comfort in the norm. 

Still, he was embarrassed when he had friends over for playdates.  In effect each time his buddies would come over, I would constantly hear him make excuses for his walls. Those same words he'd utter when they'd enter made me smile."This is from my mom...when she decorated my room as a baby."  Then he'd roll his eyes like it was my fault it was that way.

And that was okay.  I didn't mind being the fall guy, because I know my son doesn't do well with change.  I also knew that when he was ready - he'd make the change for himself.

Two weeks ago, my mom brought him home after running errands with him.  They were at Ace Hardware, and he asked to go to the paint section. As soon as he walked in the door, he proudly handed me some paint samples he liked. They lay on the coffee table for a couple days before he approached the subject I knew was coming ... he asked if we could re-do his room. I smiled and hugged him.

Even though I know he's scared to let go of what he's known, I also know he's ready to embrace the change of a big boy room. Trust me - that's big for my son. He's not an adapter. He likes the status quo.  And He is comfortable being right where he is at all times. To push him is to frustrate him. So, I couldn't be happier that he's making this step.

We're going to do a Tron Legacy room.  I'll post before and after pictures soon.

You know it's funny. This time last year I might have shed a tear to see the nursery paint covered up and updated... I always thought I'd have another child to move into that room. So re-doing this room symbolizes a lot for me too...letting go of a larger family and letting go of my baby.

However he'll always be my baby no matter how old he gets.  And that I can smile about as I paint over the Cookie Monster, that sits up high on the wall. See ya, Cookie Monster!  Time for a big boy room!!!

Comments

OkiJenninGA said…
I love the book "I'll Love You Forever" and yes...it stings a little to see them grow up overnight, but you'll love the process of progress!
Briana said…
Hi Kimberly!

My name is Briana and I work with Grace Hill Media. I ran across your blog and saw that not only are you a mom and blogger, but you’re a Christian as well! I’d love to chat briefly about working with you on Roma Downey’s new DVD, Little Angels. Please shoot me an email at briana@gracehillmedia.com so I can explain in more detail. Don't want to get too lengthy in your comment box :)

And this isn't spam. You can check our credentials here: www.gracehillmedia.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

Briana

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise