20 years

I can't believe twenty years ago I was a fresh young pup ready to take on the world, thinking - no, knowing - I knew everything there was to life and what it had in store for me. Twenty years ago this month I graduated from a wonderful school over in Japan and left behind some really wonderful friends.

I say left behind because when you're a military brat - you don't have the option to go home for the weekend to visit the folks and all your buddies when you leave for college. Chances are your folks are packing up not too long after you are and headed for another duty station hundreds of miles away. And all your closest friends' families are doing the same.

There is no going home. Home is where you are for the moment until it changes again. Your friends you just have to hope will keep in touch, but if not you already know the art of making really good new ones - as that's what you've done your whole life.

However, when you're a brat and you live overseas - there's something special about those friends you spent time with. And thankfully, for me, we've all kept in touch somewhat even before Facebook. And well, with Facebook, it's so easy to catch up not only daily but hourly on what their status is. Sometimes I know too much! 😂 Sometimes I give too much info.

However, this weekend we're off to our 20-year high school reunion. (Our ten was in Vegas.)
I missed the fifteen in New Orleans due to my pregnancy. And the twenty is in CHICAGO! We're going to have so much fun!! My friends, myself, and our spouses will invade and experience Chicago & party like it's 1990!

I'll post some pics soon.

Comments

Rebecca said…
Sounds like a fun way to spend the weekend! My 10 year high school reunion is this fall but I won't be making it. Hope you're doing well!
Mike said…
Hanging out with old friends is always a great time. I don't really ever see any of the people I grew up with anymore. That thing called "life" tends to get in the way.

Hope you have (had, by now) an awesome time. :)
Kimberly McKay said…
It was simply amazing! It is very different for military kids to catch up because it's literally like catching up with your brother or sister...it's like a special band of brothers/sisters that get to re-connect after a very long time. My husband had such a great time, after hanging with my friends that he has told me, 'Yeah, I don't care if I ever go to any of my reunions ... as long as we keep coming to yours!' I loved it! And I agreed!

Now we're planning couple trips in the next few years.

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

Never know what you're gonna get...

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!