Mark Harmon, Frank Marshall, and more...

There are people in life who do things so amazing but never get credit. Mark Harmon is one of those people.

When the bombing happened in downtown OKC, we all felt the blast here in Oklahoma -- literally for miles, figuratively for decades, and emotionally for eons to come. Children lost parents, parents lost children... we all lost someone or knew someone who did. The nation lost heart, knowing that someone in our own country could terrorize us in such a manner.

Many people supported our state in many ways. There was a celebrity softball game that came to play at the Bricktown ballpark. At that point in life, I was in awe that I got to meet Dean Cain, who was yet to bloom into stardom. Most fans yelled 'Superman!' at him because they didn't know his real name...but I did. 

I still have a scar on my knee, from where I was shoved into a chainlink fence, where women were pushing to get close. They were ruthless trying to get noticed, as I stood there in pain and quite reserved, which is unlike me. Through all the madness, Dean signed MY softball program and walked away, ignoring the others. I was too shy to even speak to him, as my knee bled from metal digging into it under the pressure of bodies behind me.

Mark Harmon was also at this event. Humble, quiet, and cute Mark Harmon took his time with the fans and wasn't trying to spy the spotlight. Out of all those so-called celebrities, Mark is one of the few who have returned in efforts to help our city.

When he was here many years ago, he discovered the Children's Center in Bethany, Oklahoma. He started the Mark Harmon Foundation to raise money for this worthy cause and started enlisting famous counterparts, like film producer, Frank Marshall, to come back each year to support the sick children of our state. 

Frank now premiers some of his films here locally in support of this state. He brought Matt Damon with him for the last Bourne release. Again, another star who supported our community.

This year was no different, except his charity was the Ronald McDonald House. And I got to attend! It was at the last minute, and I just happened to have my book with me. I honestly didn't plan it that way. It was in my car, just in case. 

Last week before I knew I'd be at the even last night - God literally placed this thought in my head, "PUT YOUR BOOK IN THE CAR WITH YOU - YOU MAY NEED IT FOR SOMETHING SOON."

I believe last night was that something soon. Frank and I chatted about it for a few minutes. Mark asked about the book and was genuinely interested so I signed the book and gave it to him. He put his arm on my waist and called me darlin'. I giggled like a young teen so bad that I'm eye-rolling at myself.

Today, though, I am still on cloud nine.

Here are pics from last night! I'm so thankful to men and women like these, who take their precious time to support a local community. What humble amazing people we have in this world. And I for one and truly humbled by their efforts and heart.

Please don't judge my hair. I am growing it out and it's hit that awkward in-between stage. If I'd known we were attending at least an hour before, I'd have done something with it.






Bart and Nadia Conner are two amazing people as well. Gold medal Olympians who come back to OK to support Bart's hometown of Norman, OK. He is very active here and we all appreciate him very much!!


Comments

meleah rebeccah said…
OMG!! OMG!!! This is soooo cool!!!!
Rebecca said…
Oh my wow! I watch NCIS and think Mark Harmon is a wonderful actor. It's great that he has continued in helping to raise funds. How awesome that you could go to the event. I can just see him saying "darlin" SWOON. The Ronald McDonald House holds a special place in my heart, Michael has excitedly collected pop tabs to help raise money for them this year & it's something we'll continue doing.
terri said…
Wow! Did you ever, in a million years, imagine your book would allow you to connect with celebrities and people of influence? Wow!!!! I am so proud of you and so very happy for you!
Kimberly McKay said…
My book didn't do that ~ really. It was a charity event I was invited to through my husand's media connections and I brought my book for some unknown reason ... it was just lying in my purse. And I thought ~ aha! A picture opp!

:)
Very very cool!

It is nice to see when people can make dreams come true (((big smile))
Meg said…
WOW! Kim! So cool! YOU look fabulous! I have always had a crush on Mark! I am so envious, wonder if I will get to hang with Sam Elliot when and IF my book ever comes out? Lol!
Kimberly McKay said…
My hair looks like crap! But other than that it was cool! And Sam Elliot--awesome! Love him too.

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Never know what you're gonna get...