My son, the miser

My son has and will always have a very big heart. In years past, on his birthdays, he's taken the initiative to give to various charities of his choice. You can click here to read about last year's birthday giving. It was pretty amazing.

Well - one year older and little wiser to the world, he's gaining more knowledge of money and it's power. I think the fact that I've been somewhat unemployed or self-employed since July, has had a larger effect than I thought. Obviously, it benefits him, because I get to spend almost all my time with him, but he notices that we're restricted as a family to do certain things, from big to small on a financial level.

Last Wednesday night, at church, we were helping the kids decorate little plastic piggy banks. We told the kids, once they filled this itty bitty bank up...they could feel free to donate it to the charity of their choice. We're trying to teach these little hearts and minds about other places of the world, and here at home...and how we can help others in need.

 After all, this is what Jesus asks of us. Luke 3:11. And [John the Baptist] would answer and say to them, "Let the man with two tunics share with him who has none, and let him who has food do likewise." This is something small to teach that can have a big impact on the world for ours and the next generation.

Once we finished, I went around the room to ask each child what charity they may have in mind. Not to put any pressure on them at all, but just to get them thinking how they personally could help - and how they'd want to. Well, I heard various answers:
Jesus House
Homeless Shelters
The Hungry
etc...

I get to my son, who I know is going to have a great answer, as he's always cared for others in need and he responds with?

"Myself. I think I'll donate to my savings account at the bank, Mom!"

I couldn't keep a straight face. I had to turn around to keep the class from seeing me bust out in laughter, and caught the second teacher doing the same. After a few seconds, I turned back around and said, "okay well we'll talk about that one later...anyone else?"

I swear sometimes he cracks me up!!

Comments

WeaselMomma said…
He's a trip. Next he'll be setting himself up as a 501(3c) and getting his classmates to donate to him too!
Kimberly McKay said…
IF I'm not careful ... he will. He's smart like that. Yikes am I in trouble!!
terri said…
Oh, he's too smart for his own good, LOL!
Rebecca said…
Too smart for your own good! ;) That's too funny!
So funny! It's interesting to see how kids react to our situations.
Annette Piper said…
Well, he's got a point!!

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Bathroom Etiquette

Facing Redemption