Marchies and so forth...



When I was little I had my pretend friends. It eventually narrowed down to one... Kai'm, which sounds like Kay-I'm. I think I used my own name, Kim, and basically, took the hard K and the I'm and made my name into one.

Kai'm was my constant companion. So much so, that during one of our moves, which we did every two to three years, my mom told me that she was locking up the empty house and leaving her inside. 'Kai'm was not to be coming with us.'

After driving a few seconds down the road, I screamed, "STOP!" My mom screeched on the brakes, almost causing an accident, and asked what it was.

I told her that Kai'm was swinging in the trees, trying to catch up to us. I remember her pushing the gas harder, saying that Kai'm was definitely staying behind.

That was the last I saw of my pretend friend. I don't remember missing her after that. Besides, I knew she wasn't really real, but she was real for me when I needed her and she served her purpose...endless hours of entertainment.

My son has the same curious and obvious creative spirit. He drew this picture for me. Those are his Marchies. They're little people that live in our carpet and go everywhere with him. He was born in March, so I assume that is how they got their name. His Marchies scoot in his backpack to go to school. They are about a centimeter tall and flew their own plane to Hawaii, to go on vacation with us. They're a friendly group of beings that keep my son entertained.

He has graduated some I guess, as JEFF GORDON is now also his pretend best friend. He's determined you see to grow up, to replace number twenty-four, and beat Jeff Gordon. His friend Jeff Gordon looks just like my son. And now he's got a group of Jeff friends...Jeff Couch, Jeff Chair, Jeff Roof, Jeff Ceiling, Jeff Carpet... Jeff just about anything. They all look like my son, like racing, and play hard.

I love my son's mind and am blessed to see it in action. I can't wait to see what type of creative things he'll come up with as he gets older.

Comments

terri said…
I'll bet your son ends up doing something creative and expressive with that imagination. Maybe a writer, like his mom?

My daughter was the only one of my 3 kids to have an imaginary friend. Her name was Kenady and she and Kacey spent many hours jumping on the trampoline and exploring the neighborhood. Kenady was always breaking her arm or some other limb, but was always up for another adventure with Kacey. Kacey was 3 years old when Kenady existed and she would tell me elaborate stories about her time spent with Kenady.
Beth said…
I never understood pretend friends. My sister had a really wonderful relationship with a pretend friend that I believe I was jealous of. I made life miserable for her when I caught her playing with her pretend friend.

I am much more laid back about pretend friends as an adult. I think we all need one. ;-)
Kimberly McKay said…
Terri, he's written two books so far in his 5 years. I would imagine he's trending that way too!

Beth, I agree. We all need one to vent to, rely on, and think about. I used to have my dog...he's gone now. But I've got my husband and my son...they'll do since I've outgrown pretend friends. Secretly, I indulge in my son's friends.....they're fun to play with!
I guess there are worse people he could be "friends" with than Jeff Gordon. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise