This week...

So if you didn't notice...I've taken a few days off from this blog. I can't maintain everything, all the time. Although my son and husband think I do. 😇

My sweet companion of fourteen years had to be put down this week. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. My son is coping okay...he cried again today before taking him to school. I know I've had to stop myself when looking for my pup outside, wondering why I didn't see him in the yard. I've stopped myself from looking for Hershey on the floor when I get up to pee in the middle of the night to keep from tripping over him.

Hershey loved to follow me everywhere I went. He was so much a part of my day in small ways I didn't even recognize until now.

Now my son is experiencing the same thing. He put his plate down on the couch this morning, mid breakfast. And reached to pick it up, so Hershey wouldn't eat his food. He quickly put it back down and started crying.

"I miss him, Mom." Afterward, he peppered me with questions. "Is heaven a big building with the sun and moon, and lots of houses inside?" or "I know heaven's streets are made with paint...gold paint. Isn't that right?"

I chuckled at his insight and curiosity and answered him honestly on each one he had for me.

I never realized how hard it would be to be the rock for my son. To reassure him that our 14-year-old 'puppy' is in a better place, and show the strength he needs from me to know he can be strong too.

We're better today as it's been a few days, but I'm amazed at how much my son is teaching me through this experience. Kids are so gentle and kind, and loving. I'm humbled and blessed to be his mommy.

Comments

Ashley said…
Aw, hon. I'm so sorry for your loss *hugs*
Anonymous said…
I know how you feel. I think one of the hardest parts of going through the loss of a pet is to have to watch your kids come to terms with it. It sounds like you're doing a great job of helping your son cope. Hugs!
WeaselMomma said…
I'm sorry that you had to put your dog down. That it always a hard thing to do. I did however have to laugh a little as I read "my sweet companion of 14 years, had to be put down this week", not that that was funny, but at first I thought you were confessing to killing your husband. I am cursed with a twisted mind.
Kimberly McKay said…
weaslemomma...that's funny! I've only been with him 8. Man I was with my dog for almost double compared to being with my other half! Wow.
Lizzi said…
Oh, I'm so sorry. I had to put my cat down a couple of years ago, and it wasn't til then that I realized he was with me longer than my husband or kids had been. To this day, I think I hear him from time to time and have to remind myself that he's gone. Our pets truly are part of our family. Saying a little prayer for you and your family.
Anonymous said…
Oh no! That's sooooooo sad.

(big huge giant internet hugs)

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Bathroom Etiquette

Facing Redemption