Feelin Sequelish

So in the last week, I've been taking lots of notes to stimulate the start of my sequel. I've decided to put an excerpt in the back of Finding Kylie, to interest readers to look for the second book, Facing Redemption.

It's a daunting task to take on, knowing the bar has been set high with the first book, but I'm up for the challenge. The notes I've been taking are already starting to formulate a framework for the storyline and characters.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm a dream writer. Some of my best stuff comes to me at two a.m., which is the magic hour for me. I know God places these plots and character twists in my head and prompts me to wake up enough to remember what ran through my mind. So for two days, I've been simmering. A great start to my second book hit me at two a.m. and has stuck in my mind waiting to be put on paper.

My mother keeps saying, "I hope you're writing all these ideas you're having down so you don't forget."

For those that don't know me, I forget a lot of little details when it comes to my life. I'm a bit ADD. Things like what time or date we've made family plans or which day I'm supposed to do something important escape me. I've been known to forget my anniversary date...hmmm the 20th or the 22nd?

In order to remember my anniversary, I have to walk through who my husband's favorite baseball player is. Will Clark - number twenty-two for the Giants. He picked the twenty-second so that he wouldn't forget. Smart guy!

BUT with writing...nothing is forgotten. I don't have to write it down. Although I take notes to formulate a plan, I don't have to write to remember them. It's like breathing for me, knowing how to start and finish and learning what to set in the middle.

After simmering along for the last couple of days I finally started typing away on my computer to email my publisher an excerpt. I feel at peace with how it starts and know it will get the reader excited about the new book.

Comments

Train Wreck said…
LOL! It must be an artist thing! I am the same way! I draw/paint. I have to be in the mood. When I am in the mood I don't want to leave what I am working on. I tend to forget certain things, but not the ideas of what inspires me!
Kimberly McKay said…
TWreck, very very nice to meet you to. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is this way. I'm heading to your blog right now!
Char said…
Terrific idea! I've noticed that a lot of publishers are doing this now. Gets us readers all excited.

You are to be commended for actually getting the words on paper. If more of us did that . . .
Dianna Woolley said…
Hi WOW - I'm BHS friend of your mom's, so I'm ooolllddd:) but wanted to congratulate you on the book.

My sister - who is a decade+ younger than me is working on her first book as well. We are both avid bloggers. Would love for your to drop by her site some time and take a look. http://diamondsintheskywithlucy.blogspot.com

Again, big congratulations - I look forward to reading it.
Rebecca said…
You are a woman of many talents - photography, author, awesome wife & mom, entrepreneur - list goes on. You're doing great & I know the next book will live up to & surpass any expectation that you have for it!
Kimberly McKay said…
Thanks guys. I actually got a very very good review back today that my publisher should be very happy about.
Anonymous said…
my best ideas and writing also happens from 2am - 5am.


too bad I have to be asleep during those hours thanks to my annoying day job.

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Bathroom Etiquette

Facing Redemption