Cephzil Attack

The last two weeks have been a trial for our little household. My son started with a chest cough, which moved into bronchitis. He allergically reacted to his first anti-biotics, and now he's having bumps on his upper lip with the second. Granted he's only had it happen twice in two days, but I thought it was worthy of a doctor's call. He, however, called me and told me to continue on the Cephzil.

Thankfully he's been okay so far, with the exception of acting like he's on drugs. Well, yeah, he is on drugs, but this med is seriously knocking his attitude out of whack. Everything is dramatic, and he cries or throws a tantrum at the drop of a hat. He can't make up his mind, so one second he'll be happy then the next he'll be screaming at me.

I know when kids are sick you're not supposed to use typical discipline when it comes to behavioral issues, but seriously....I'm about ready to pull my hair out. My sweet child HIT my mom yesterday and has been extremely aggressive toward me too. This behavior is worse right after a dose of this anti-biotic.

Have any of you had any experiences like this? Do I need to get him back to the doctor or ride it out?

Signed.....WORNOUTWOMAN!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, sorry, I haven't heard of a reaction like that to an antibiotic. When you spoke to the dr., did you mention the aggressive behavior? I'd definitely check in with the doc again, just to be safe! Good luck!
Momisodes said…
Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear. That sounds awful. Hopefully the antibiotic treatment goes quickly and he starts to feel better soon....hang in there!
Kimberly McKay said…
I will mention it next time. Thanks to both of you...I'm heading to bed. Whew...it's been a long evening.
Anonymous said…
My guess would be that it's not the antibiotic but the fact that he's probably just plain worn out from being sick. Poor little guy. But I would definitely mention it to the doctor. You never know.
Kimberly McKay said…
I thought so too at first, but the longer the period after the med is dispursed the easier he gets. The meds, when administered, cause extreme hyperness within 20 minutes and then the drama comes right afterwards. I've seen him when he's worn out from being sick and this behavior is completely different. My sister reacts to certain medications this way too. She can't take actifed without becoming irate and plain ol' MEAN. He's acting with the same behavior. My mommy sense is telling me it's the meds.
Anonymous said…
Awhh.. I really hope he starts to feel better soon.. but I agree with Terri, it is probably jus that he is just done with being sick..

:(
Momo Fali said…
I hope everyone is better soon! Him physically and you mentally! I know my sick kids can drive me crazy!
Dwayne said…
I would check and see if the anti biotic is not a steroid based drug. Doctors prescribe them all the time to treat, sinus and bronchial infections. If so, that would explain the hyper and aggressive behavior.
Laski said…
No way!!! An antibiotic does this? I guess it doesn't surprise me.

I hope he feels better (and mom and grandma, too).

Hopped over from the Buzz. I love reading your profile . . . . so sweet.
Motherwise said…
I would definitely go back to the doctor. I think both of you would feel better, even if just to reassure yourself. That sounds like a powerful reaction to that medicine and perhaps there is something else he can take instead.
Honeybell said…
Wow, I'm a nurse and I've never heard of any antibiotic causing that type of reaction. I just looked it up in my drug book, it does state it can cause headaches and dizziness. It might be a combination of being sick and cruddy side effects influencing him. I'd call your doctor's office on Monday and ask though.

Poor little guy, Poor Mama!

DrunkenHoney~BlogHoppin'!
Heather J. said…
I'm so sorry.
Disciplining sick children is always a challenge, I try to stay consistant. I tell my kids that I'm sorry they don't feel well, but that is unacceptable behavior, if it continues we do the time out thing, then the in your room thing...and so on. It works for us.
Sounds like the medication is the culprit. Next time, you'll know that this one isn't the right one for him! With so many drugs on the market, you shouldn't have a problem.

I wish you all a peaceful weekend.
Kimberly McKay said…
post note to this blog:
Apparently the second medication we gave him (after his initial allergic reaction) should have been refrigerated, and we didn't know. So I was medicating him with who knows what for 7 days with no refrigeration. The day I stopped giving him that stuff (Thur night) he stopped his abnormal behavior.

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Never know what you're gonna get...