Hockey Mania

So my husband started taking my son to hockey games this last October or November. I don't remember which month, but it was toward the end of the year. My dad went with them one time, so it was a guy's night out. My son came home with his own wooden Blazers hockey stick that night, with the Marty Standish's name and number on it.

My husband is a sports anything enthusiast, from little league, football, bowling, baseball...etc. I think you get the idea. My son is going to be just like him. He's already rain man when it comes to games he's attended and the sports and team info. He can rattle off every Blazer game he's been to, who they played, and the score.

For Christmas, my husband's grandfather sent a nice check for my son's gift. We turned around and went down to the Ford Center to buy him an authentic hockey jersey. It was one he could grow into and still fit when he's like eight or nine. As it stands now, it looks like a short dress with the sleeves rolled up. I can't pry that thing off him. I thought his drum set would be his favorite gift since he worked so hard for it. BUT nooo, it's his darned hockey jersey. I have to wash that thing every day!!!

He sleeps in it and wants to wear it everywhere. He wears it to school. He wears it to Wednesday night church. Thank goodness, I can convince him to wear what he calls his 'handsome' clothes to church on Sundays.

Right now it's hanging to dry after he got his morning's breakfast pancake syrup on one of the sleeves. He'll wait for it to dry and try to convince me to let him wear it on today's errands. Then, he'll tell everybody and their dog that he's got on his Blazers HOCKEY JERSEY.

Oh and by the way he got STANDISH #8 on the back, because that's what is on his stick. We thought he'd want his own last name on it....yeah...not so much.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My boys have always been very much like that. When Brad was about 9 years old, he decided he liked the Charlotte Hornets. He had a baseball hat, stocking cap, winter jacket, jersey, posters. Now that both boys are older, they have favorite t-shirts sporting the names of their own high school teams. It must be a boy thing. My daughter wouldn't be caught dead wearing the same item of clothing more than once in a week.
Kimberly McKay said…
I just thought he was a little over the top b/c his dad is. This morning my husband thought he heard something odd, so he looked down the hall. And sure enough, there was our son in his hockey jersey (from last night's sleep) and he just woke up...only this time he was hitting his plastic hockey puck down the hall with his hockey stick. He also slept with those last night.
Rebecca said…
Sounds like you've got a sports fan for sure! One question though - is STANDISH a hockey players name or the brand of hockey stick? I obviously know nothing about hockey or most sports.
Kimberly McKay said…
He's a player for the Blazers. He's #8! :)
Joeprah said…
I think its great! Good to see that he looks up to his dad and finds pride in what his dad likes. Really cool!
Sleeping Beauty said…
I also think it is great with kids spend time with their dads when it comes to sports. My children sure would not want me teaching them! LOL
Momo Fali said…
My son is suddenly into wearing his robe all the time. I'd love it if he wanted to wear a hockey jersey!
Kimberly McKay said…
I had to pry it off him last night to wash it, so that he could wear it again to school today. But you're right...I'm glad it's not his robe! :)
OhTheJoys said…
It's starting early here... K's taking mine to the hockey game tomorrow...
I like the "hansome clothes idea"!!

If you can't be hockey ... you might as well be handsome!
Kimberly McKay said…
:) Handsome clothes was his name for it...because he wants to be handsome for church, just like his daddy. I think it's so sweet.

Ohthejoys...just you wait. If your little one likes it...you'll be posting on it soon too. AAaa!
Rebecca said…
My son picked up the term "handsome spray" from my little brothers. When they get dressed up they get to wear a little of daddy's cologne, now my son wants to get handsome spray no matter what he's wearing. It's cute, though I'm thinking of getting him his own handsome spray so I'm not smelling daddy everywhere right now.

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

Never know what you're gonna get...

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!