Thankful Sisters



Yesterday my family spent the day at my grandmother's in a remote small town. In fact, one wise family member, who is under the age of ten, mentioned that the town looked exactly like Radiator Springs! We all got a laugh out of that one. My grandmother still lives in her home, that's crumbling apart it's so old, and is going strong.

As a family, we decided to have Thanksgiving at her house this year. It may be the last time we're able to at the age my grandmother is. As kids, we loved to play there. She's got a big goldfish pond in her back yard, which my sister fell in as a kid. Those goldfish are so big and so old...it makes me wonder if they've been around longer than me. My grandmother also had a secret passageway in her home. Well, it's more like to connecting closets that run the center of her home. So this little hallway that led from the guest room to the master bedroom became our secret passageway...a charming little secret we always enjoyed as kids.

It was my son's first time in this little town and at his Great Grama's house. He knew of the secret passageway and couldn't wait to travel down its path. He ran from room to room to take the passage...over and over and over! It was so awesome seeing him caught up in the wonder of something from my childhood. I'm sure it's something he'll never forget.

We all ate the standard yummies until our stomachs burst and then retired to watch football. The boys played dominoes for a while, and then we bust out UNO and had a lot of fun. I won, so my husband decided he didn't want to play anymore...:)

I think the most relaxing thing was sitting on the floor and leaning back into the recliner, where my sister was sitting. I've grown my hair out in the last 6 months, and it's long for the first time since college...circa 1991. (OUCH!) She leaned forward and french braided my hair, which is what she used to do almost daily when we were kids. I had hair down to my knees growing up. I would have to hold the strands out arms length to have them ready as she braided strand by strand, b/c my hair was too long to maneuver.



Not that I'm not thankful for all of my other family...I am blessed to love all of them deeply. But my sister is my best friend, and always has been. She is 6 years older than me, so she always took care of me growing up. She nurtured, babied, loved and adored me when I was little. She taught me and guided me as I grew older. She learned the difference between a second mom and a best friend when I was an adult...and I love her so much.

Yesterday being in a place with all my family made me reflect on how amazing our relationship is and was...and always will be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's really cool... nothing like being around family to trigger memories of a more carefree time when you didn't have to worry about mortgage, 401k's and all the things that get in the way.

Hey, I want a secret passageway!!
Rebecca said…
It sounds like you had a great day and you have a special relationship with your sister. I'm curious if she giggled a little when you asked her to take a picture of your hair for the blog? Have a great weekend!

Oh & I'm reading your other blog but have forgotten the password for wordpress since my computer remembers it for me so I may not be able to comment.
Loz said…
Amen :)
Anonymous said…
Awww, how sweet! Times like this I wish I hadn't been an only child.
Joeprah said…
I am so glad you took time to write about this because it is truely the little things that make family so important. You will look back on this post and smile years from now. Wonderful stuff. Sounds like a fantastic holiday!
Kiki said…
I wanted to thank you for stopping by, and I how glad I am to see you posted...and that you had a wonderful time with your family!!! A secret passageway sounds like it would have been theplace for me to be hanging out in. Thanks again for stopping in...good to see you again!
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful story!!

UNO must be THE game to play at family get-togethers; we played countless games over the Thanksgiving holiday. :-)
Kimberly McKay said…
busy dad...yes those memories do make me feel very care free.
rebecca...she did laugh at me for getting a picture of the braid. But it was too priceless a moment not to snap the pic.
a writers woolgatherings...UNO rocks!!!
i think it is such a blessing to have a sister...and one that you are close to. my sister and i...although much closer in age, are best friends, as well. there is no one who can understand you, as well as your sister. the history that is shared. it's priceless...
take care!
Annie said…
Beautiful story. You are really blessed to have such a close relationship with your sister. I am 9 years older than my sister - and while I love her dearly - we don't have that close confidant relationship, sadly.
Momo Fali said…
Aw! I love this post! I love the picture too...just looks like a relaxing Thanksgiving. I too have wonderful memories from my Grandma's house. I was blessed to have such an amazing, nurturing Grandmother, with the BIGGEST heart you could imagine.

I pay my daughter a quarter (a WHOLE quarter) to brush my hair and braid it for me!
Tara R. said…
That is so cool.. my grandma's house had the same passage way! Great post, thanks for the memories.
I'm with Suburban Oblivion, these are the reasons I want to have more than one child. I grew up with a wonderful mom and had a wonderful life, but I do wish I had a loving big sister to braid my hair!

I am really enjoying your blog, keep up the great work!
Unknown said…
what a great day! how delightful to enjoy your sister!
Kimberly McKay said…
She's a good girl and I'm so blessed to have her in my life! I hope a

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise