Toddler sippy cups and more

For years, there have been concerns about plastics and toxins leaking into our systems. The question to eat microwave dinners or not....the dilemma of freezing bottled water. Both concerns are valid and potentially dangerous.

My aunt saw a disturbing report on the national news last week at the airport. She was waiting to board and saw a picture on TV of a sippy cup, that looked like the one my son has used. She focused on the newscast to see what it was about and was immediately concerned.

The newscaster was telling of a new report linking plastic sippy cups to neurological disorders in infants and toddlers. It reported that as adults we're less vulnerable to the dangers of bad plastics, but our kids are in danger.

I googled to see what I could and found a lot of disturbing reports out there. I found out not only was it neurological disorders that I needed to be concerned with, but genetic/fertility issues also came into play.

It's way overdue to wean my son from his sippy cups, so I feel silly stating that my four-year-old still uses them. NO longer...I recycled them all this week. IT was perfect timing as he couldn't use straws or sippy cups after surgery. I tossed them all out...including all his plastic cups. If it's not paper or glass, I will try not to use it.

I thought you'd all like to know what I found out. Here's the link to a few reports I found:

Bad Plastic
Greenhouse
Weird Science

Here's what I'm doing to protect my family:
*Using more glass and no plastic cups
*Switching to metal and glass food storage
*Using paper towels to cover items in the microwave instead of plastic wrap
*Use my water dispenser in my fridge and reducing my intake of bottled water

Comments

Tam said…
Good info...we definitely can't be too safe - but we can over do at times too. So, I'm glad you checked into it to make sure! I've not thought of switching out my plastic storage containers. Darn it - they're so cheap to buy though! ;)

How's your little one doing after surgery?
Rebecca said…
I've seen something about this before. The article was also endorsing sippy cups or cups with straws made from stainless steel or a safe plastic that isn't made with the certain chemical they are concerned about.

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Never know what you're gonna get...