You were my egg

Each night before bed, my son enjoys watching "How It's Made" on the science channel. He has watched twenty minutes every night since he was two. TV for kids isn't a great habit to get into, but this show is much better than most anything out there. He knows how most everything is made...seriously.

Last night, they showed how fish farms are run. The fun music was playing in the background as the fish farmer was squeezing the female's fish eggs out to harvest. Then he proceeded to squeeze the male's sperm into the bin, where the eggs had been deposited. This was how they harvested the babies.

Once the babies were shown, hatched and swimming, he giggled. He thought the babies were so cute. He said, "I didn't know fish came from eggs!" I told him, "Yes they do...like birds."

He looked at me with this quizzical look, smiled and said, "Mommy...you were my egg, weren't you? I hatched from you!"

I had to laugh...what a concept for a 4-year-old to grasp all on his own. He knows he was in my belly before birth, but always asked 'how' he was born. I just told him the doctor got him out. I didn't want to get too technical about it.

Now he knows...I was his egg! HA!

Happy Fourth everyone!

Comments

Carol said…
What a sweet story! Your son is smart and so precious!
Rebecca said…
Oh that is just too sweet. You were his egg, that's like "You had me at hello" but even sweeter. That sounds like a great title for a scrapbook page. "Mommy, you were my egg", you better copyright that before *someone* uses it my I mean herself. ;) BTW: I love that how it's made show, we watch often too.
Loz said…
It's great that you're recording these things because they are great fodder for things like 21st Birthdays down the track. Just ask my sons :)
4n0n3m0u5e said…
don't we love tv - takes all the hard work out of life!?!
Fred

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise