Money Matters

I've never been one of those who really tried to balance a check book. My whole life it got pretty out of control. I've never been one with bad credit, in fact I've always had to best because I pay my bills with interest when I can.

Four years ago I started using quicken for our finances. It was a simple easy way to input how much we got paid, and schedule bills. It did all the math for me! I loved it. Somehow it too has gotten out of control. We use our debit cards way too much and receipts get entered when we remember. It's now not a simple solution any more, because we again really don't know how much we have in our account.

When I worked at my previous employer's, this wouldn't have been a big deal. My salary was enough to compensate for any minor infraction we'd make in our inputting system. Now, however, I work for straight commission and it's not guaranteed to pay me every two weeks unless I sell something. Some months I may get paid every week, which is great. But then the next I may not get paid at all. It's 2 steps forwards and 15 steps back.

Needless to say we are struggling financially. We live on now, what I made alone last year and our bills haven't shrunk any. My husband never got that when he saw a number on his statement, from the ATM, that it isn't a real number. He didn't get that we had outstanding checks, for bills, that would hit any day. This whole year I've asked him to cut back by not buying lunches at work, or spending little things here or there. IT all adds up.

It took a while for him to really understand that we were in financial strain but it was a little too late. I haven't kept up on the quicken, partly on purpose. mostly out of exhaustion of fighting an uphill battle to see how much we 'really' had in the account, some because I've been out of town so much and couldn't, and part to let it get a little crazy.

Now he's told me he's going to work some extra hours to open a second checking account and transfer all the ACH'ed items to the second account. We're going to start depositing into it instead of the primary. He has asked that we use only cash from now on and not our debit cards.

Hallelujah! All though we're really tapped right now and it's scary....I'm so proud of him for taking the reins and coming up with a wise solution. I'm glad not to have to handle it anymore. And using cash or not buying it is what I wanted him to move toward. I'm glad he came up with it 'as his own idea' vs. my suggesting it. I think you ladies all know what I mean by that last sentence.

Comments

Rebecca said…
I think this is another "same argument/discussion/talk different house" kind of thing. I've always been better at remembering to pay bills, keeping track of what we have in the accounts and lately my husband has gotten much more involved which is great. I've heard that putting cash into envelopes designated to certain spending works and once the envelope is empty no more spending on that item, ie coffee or lunch. My dad has had many commission only jobs and my part time gig depends on sales to make money also so I can understand your situation. I think that you both working together on it like this will help in so many ways. Best of luck!
Unknown said…
Thank you for being open and sharing your struggle...I understand what you are going through. Financial struggles can be the hardest trials we go through. I am SO happy that your hubby is taking the reins. I will keep you and your finances in my prayers.
Anonymous said…
You may have already heard of him, but I would like to recommend "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. His methods are life-changing.

http://www.daveramsey.com

Blessings!
Kimberly McKay said…
Dave Ramsey is awesome, and I think my husband has his book. Which is where he probably got the 'cash' only idea.
Lance Eh. said…
Money is a difficult topic. I try to trust God for all my needs, and He has been very faithful, but it can be hard to keep the faith going. I have had to give up on any dreams of opening affiliate sites and just go trying to serve Him with all that I have and really trust Him to provide. It can be bumpy but He has seen me through so far and really taken away a lot of doubts and worry. Thanks for sharing your post! God bless.

Lance
Http://Lanceeh.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
Oh, how I know what you mean! Especially the part about using the debit card and the receipts getting entered whenever or if they happen to surface.
Loz said…
I think financial issues are probably the leading reason for strain on marriages. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise