a boss' admission

Working moms and working women everywhere understand how taxing it is to compete in today's workforce. We're expected to play and work hard like the boys, but never really get invited to be a part of the boy's club. Most 'politically correct' work environments will deny the boy's club existence, but we women see it every day. They bond easier, which is fine, but it leads to their promotions first and their higher salary increases.

The job I left a year ago was such a place. As I would leave my former boss's office, he would make a sexually gray comment about me or another woman. I say gray because it wouldn't be enough to get him in trouble, just enough to leave him some wiggle room to explain it away as a joke.

In sales, I was a top performer, who won corporate sales awards and incentive trips on a continual basis but got passed up for promotions b/c I had a child. No boss wanted a woman with a child in a higher demanding job, because of the liability a child proposed. Men would get the sought after positions and such the increased salaries

When I would come to work, on 2 hours or less of sleep, my boss would joke, "Hey medicate that kid! Give him Benedryl so you can get some sleep. You need to be able to perform at work!"

My performance wasn't the issue...I excelled on a regular basis. I was his go-to girl. When something needed to be done, he knew he could rely on me vs. most of his male employees, who got to sit on their cans more. The 'boy's club' members were able to do less because of their elite membership. Obviously, the lack of respect I felt and the impossibility of being a quality mother, gave me an easy choice to quit.


My new career is one that allows me to work from home some. I still have to be in the office about 8 - 10 hours a week, but it's nothing compared to the other grinding position I held. My new boss is someone that I truly respect. He's young and has a lot to learn about being a manager, but he's a good Christian guy who genuinely cares about each of his employees. He's honest and fair, which is hard to come by.

My new boss, Phil, has a new 6-week old baby... he and his wife's first child. This past year he's been pretty understanding about my family schedule with my son. If I had to take care of him during the work day, it was no big deal as long as I was working from home or making up the time else where.

Last week before picking my son up from his day care, I called my boss on my cell. I normally check in with him throughout the day to give him updates on different accounts I'm working on, or who I've sold. I heard his little baby in the background and asked him how his son was doing. He told me his son was sick. His wife just returned back to work, so Phil was watching his son for the day while working. I grinned to myself and thought, Now he knows how I feel every day.

The next thing out of his mouth blew me away. He said, "You know Kim, I have to give you credit. I never knew how hard you worked and on top of that I never realized how wonderful you do. You're doing a really good job for me and it's harder for you than anyone else. I understand what you deal with everyday know and I have a whole new appreciation for you. I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work!"

HALLELUJAH! What a blessing I have in this job and this boss. I thank God for putting me in a place that finally understands how hard women work...not just understand but acknowledge it!

My boss is a great guy and I'm very blessed to have a place with this company. A company that lets me be a hard working woman and a mom! That's unheard of in corporate America, and although I'm struggling financially .... it's a trade-off I'm willing to take!

Comments

Rebecca said…
Aw, that is so incredible. I'm glad for you. I know just the other kind of workplace - add it being owned by a family & the 'elite' club is even smaller. This new job & boss sound fantastic. Yay!
Kimberly McKay said…
It's so commonplace to be subjected to that type of environment and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. If you can sell...you may think about coming to work for my company!! :)
Rebecca said…
I may want to re-enter the workforce again one day but for now my staying at home works for us. The company I was referring to was where I worked before having my son. I considered continuing to work there after he was born but saw the issues that were most likely to arise before I even went on maternity leave. I am trying to get started as a Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay but even that is challenging with my husbands work schedule and being in a new area. I'll keep the offer in mind for the future though!
Anonymous said…
That is awesome! You are truly lucky.
Stacy said…
Your boss was a B-hole. I wouldn't have been able to keep that job because I would have told him so. :)
Mommy's Getaway said…
You lucky girl you! I wish my saying that wasn't so true! I had a boss in Texas who was very understanding about my family and how my oldest came first, etc. (This was before we moved to AZ and had our son). However, even with all of that understanding, even though I regularly put in 10-15 hours of OVERTIME in a WEEK, I was still passed up for raises (oh but not promotions - just the raises) while my male counterpart got the raises but none of the responsibility. Now, I work as an outside consultant for that company - I like it much better this way. :)
Rebecca said…
I tagged you! Check out my today's post if you are interested. :)
Kimberly McKay said…
You're right....ieat-snowmanpoop---he was. Luckily I have a great one now.
Anonymous said…
Glad you have a great boss. You should tell him your readers approve of the way he treats you. Here's my vote!
mrmarkdewolf said…
Hey, very cool blog, and even better creative title :)

But anyway, I just start started a very informative forum called parentalcommunity.com and I saw that you have young children so I think you might find that forum up your alley :) The forum is all about children's safety and health, in every aspect of life.

But yea stop by, there are users just like you with children and you might find some friends with similar interests.

Ok hope to see you around,

Travis

p.s. my name on the forum is Travis if you ever want to message me there :)

Popular posts from this blog

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Facing Redemption

Mother's Day Surprise