Manual for Motherhood

This is a re-post from my other site at www.blessed1.wordpress.com...hope you enjoy!



No one ever really prepares you for being a parent. The standard phrase I got when I was pregnant was, “Oh get your sleep now while you can!” or they might say, “Good luck you’re going to need it!”

Even the important people in my life never truly passed on enough wisdom for me to have a handle on how it’s supposed to work. I always wondered why there wasn’t a handbook that will tell you things like:

When your son is potty trained, stay alert. He’ll still shoot the pea out between the lid and the toilet when he sits down. Have a rag handy for quick catches!

or

No matter how hard you try to get your child to sleep through the night (and they finally do)…..don’t relax just yet. Then the nightmare phase is coming and it starts all over again.

All I have to say is thank God for my mom. She may not have had any written instructions for me but she taught me the basic foundation by example. OH yes, she usually had her ‘gems of wisdom’ that would always come in handy at the exact moment I needed them, but for the most part, she taught me to like myself for who I am. She inspired me to try hard at whatever I did and if I messed up….start over. She pushed me to step outside my box and take a few leaps of faith. And, she taught me that I can do whatever I want to…as long as I treat others the way I’d want to be treated along the way.

My mom was and is the epitome of God’s love. Looking back, with some experience in her shoes now…I see how tired she was. How frustrated she got…..and how perfect she was even when I thought she was the most horrible person in the world for not giving me “MY” way.

So only having 4 years of motherhood, I’ve learned a few things the hard way. I still have no idea about a lot, but when it boils down, every child is different. A manual just wouldn’t apply. They’d all have to have their own set of instructions if that were the case and that’s just too much for one writer to take on.

Parenting is:
Foolproof love and patience mixed with discipline, helpful instruction and a lot of prayers that we don’t screw it up.

I encourage all of you to call your mother and tell her how much you love AND APPRECIATE her. She’s the most important person in the world because if it weren’t for her….you wouldn’t be here!

Comments

Cheryl said…
Oh my! Great post in honor of your mother and God. I enjoyed reading it. Yep, you've got a lot ahead of you. My three sons are 15, 16, and 19...and even I have a lot ahead of me!

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Redemption

It's called a S-T-O-P sign for a reason people!

Never know what you're gonna get...